Call for abstracts
The abstracts will be published in the SA Journal of Oncology with a DOI number.
Before starting the submission process please read carefully through the criteria and conditions below:
- Acceptance and presentation of oral presentations and posters require full payment of registration fees for the congress.
- Abstracts should be submitted before 5 April 2019. There is no possibility for late abstract submissions.
- Authors will be informed of the acceptance of their abstracts by 1 May 2019. Confirmation will also be given as to whether it will be an oral or a poster presentation.
- Withdrawal of an abstract: In case you want to withdraw your abstract after submission, please send an e-mail before 24 March 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
10 minutes for presentation
(Discussion will take place at the end of the session.)
(There will be a poster session during lunch on the Saturday in the exhibition hall.)
- Authors must state whether they wish their presentation to be considered as oral OR poster presentation or whether they would be prepared to do a poster presentation if their oral presentation cannot be accommodated?
- Please state whether the abstract should be considered for one of the following academic programmes:
- Clinical / Radiation Oncology,
- Medical Oncology,
- Paediatric Oncology,
- Gynae Oncology,
- Radiation Therapy,
- Medical Physics,
- Psycho-social, and
- Registrars / Fellows who want to be considered for the registrar / fellow awards, must clearly indicate this on their abstract submission form and must be accompanied by a letter from their academic Head of Department confirming that they are registrars / fellows or have qualified within the last 2 years and the research being presented was commenced during their registrar / fellow time.
- Please indicate whether you would be prepared to do a poster presentation if your oral presentation cannot be accommodated.
- Should not exceed an A4 page and have a maximum of 400 words excluding title in MS Word Format.
- All submissions must be in English.
- The Programme Committee will make every effort to accommodate all qualified abstracts within the programme. Final determination of the type of presentation to be given and placement within the program will be the responsibility of the Programme Committee.
- Papers will only be accepted on the understanding that the main author or a co-author will personally present the paper.
- Co-authors must agree with the results stated and have consented to be included as authors.
- All participants must disclose online any significant financial interest or other relationships they may have with the manufacturers of commercial products discussed in their presentations, panel or written materials.
- SACO will take it for granted that good clinical practice is observed in the conduct of all research. This applies especially to clinical studies involving patients and patient care and includes the understanding that the appropriate Ethics committee approval has been secured.
- The Congress Organisers & SACO accept no responsibility for copyright infringements.
- Acceptance and presentation of oral presentations and posters require full payment of registration fees for the Congress.
- If you have not received acknowledgment of receipt of you abstract, please e-mail the organisers again.
Structure of abstract
- Centre the TITLE in capital letters at the top of the page - use Arial font type (BOLD) and 14 font size.
- Authors should be listed by surname, followed by initials and affiliation (upper & lower case) – underlining the presenting author’s name. DO NOT include degrees, titles, institutional appointments or addresses. Do not use abbreviations.
STATE OF THE NATION: CHALLENGES FACING STATE ONCOLOGY RADIOTHERAPY SERVICES 
Simonds HMa; Parkes Jb; Sherriff Ac; Sharma Vd; Lakier Re; Ooko Ff; El-koha Og; Pokharel Bh & de Freitas Ah
Stellenbosch Universitya; University of Cape Townb; University of the Free Statec; University of the Witwatersrandd; Pretoria Universitye; University of Limpopof; University of Kwazulu Natalg & Walter Sisulu Universityh
BODY: (12pt font size)
OBJECTIVES: State the main question / objective of the study / hypothesis tested
DESIGN & METHOD: Briefly describe the design of the study and how it was conducted, indicating sampling and inclusion criteria, sample size, treatment, duration of observations, etc.
RESULTS: Present the main results with an indication of variability (e.g. SD) and precision of comparison (e.g. 95% confidential intervals) where appropriate.
CONCLUSION: Limit the conclusion to those findings that are directly supported by the results. Implications and generalisations may be outlined briefly. Do not leave open lines between sections and do not indent headings. Headings should be underlined.
If you have not received acknowledgment of receipt of you abstract, please e-mail the organisers again.
Acknowledgement and notification
As soon as the abstract has been received, the Congress Organisers will send an acknowledgement to the corresponding author.
The Scientific Committee will send notification of the acceptance of your abstract(s) by e-mail by 1 May 2019. Confirmation will also be given as to whether it will be an oral presentation or poster.
Video submission guidelines for poster presentations
- The purpose of the video is to give an overview of the content of the poster presentation and will be shown in the exhibition hall close to the demarcated poster area. BE CREATIVE!
- All videos must be in English.
- All videos submitted must be in the final format. Hence, they must include the exact title, all author’s names, production date and running time.
- Videos without sound (music and voice-over) will not be accepted.
- Videos will be submitted via www.wetransfer.com to email@example.com
The video can have a maximum length of 3 minutes.
Size and format
MP4 is the preferred format. Maximum file size allowed is 2GB.
Recommended requirements for video upload
- Resolution HD (1280x720 pixels) or higher.
- Frame rate higher than 25fps.
- Pixel aspect 16:9.
- Bitrate higher than 6Mbps.
- Audio stream: Stereo, 48000 Hz or better (AAC, DTS, Dolby 5.1).
- Video container:MP4
The videos should be submitted before 26 July 2019. Videos received after this date will not be accepted.